I started learning about VR 3 years ago and these are some of the things I did to hyper-accelerate my understanding of the virtual and augmented reality industry. Here is what I would do if I were starting out in VR now to put myself at the forefront of the industry.
- Start listening to the Voices of VR Podcast with Kent Bye (hint: listen on 1.5x speed or you will never get through them…there is over 500 now)
- Add Robert Scoble on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Learn Unity and watch talks from Tony Parisi
- Watch keynote talks about the gaming industry by HTC leader Rikard Steiber
- Once you learn Unity do the Microsoft HoloLens Mixed Reality Academy
- Subscribe to UploadVR, Road to VR, and VRScout
- Setup Google alerts for “Virtual Reality” and “Augmented Reality”
- Read VR news 2-4 hours a day
- Speak with EVERY person you know working in VR about the potential of it and ask “where do you see this going?”
- Do every VR experience that comes out (even though they make you sick)
- Buy a Samsung GearVR and Gear360 camera and start shooting and editing your own 360° videos (even just for fun!)
- Go to ALL VR/AR meetups and conferences and meet as many people as possible in the space.
- Come see us at VRTO in Toronto, June 24-26.
Work your ass off and find what excites you most and do that! I hope this was helpful and I sincerely hope that if you take this advice and build something amazing, you will let us invest in your company and bring it to the next level!
Feel free to add me on LinkedIn and if you are already working in VR, you have a working demo and you are interested in working with us, you can submit your info to our MetaVRse Partner Portal.